By celebrity standards, the blink-and-you-missed-it marriage of Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries was a long and happy one.
The wedded bliss of Drew Barrymore and Jeremy Thomas lasted a mere 17 days; Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds split 14 days after their wedding; Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman’s marriage ended after 9 days; and the wedded union of Britney Spears and Jason Alexander lasted a mere 55 hours.
While there’s something profoundly vulgar about the Kardashian split — after they earned an estimated $18 million for the wedding (or $250k for each day of marriage) – the debacle is not without its benefits for the gay community. Here are the top five:
1. As Reuters reports, “[The] mini-marriage became an instant rallying cry among same-sex marriage advocates who pointed out that she was allowed to make a joke of the institution while many gay couples who want lifelong marriages still aren’t allowed to wed.” (True.)
2. Of the $10 million spent on their lavish wedding, a hefty chunk of that budget undoubtedly went to gay designers, florists, caterers, and other wedding service providers. (Score!)
3. The split provided comic fuel to the ironic fire of gay and gay-friendly celebrity Tweeters such as:
George Takei: “Kim Kardashian files for divorce after 72 days. Another example of how same-sex marriage is destroying the sanctity of the very institution.”
Perez Hilton: “Straight people do a damn well good job themselves of ruining the sanctity of marriage!”
Kathy Griffin: “Ugh! Gay couples like Kim K & Kris H ruining the sanctity of marriage is the problem w/ the radical homosexual agend— oh wait, oops!”
4. The public attention on the pro-gay marriage Kardashian may yield even more support. As lesbian couple Jill Sloane Goldstein and Nikki Weiss-Goldstein (The Real L Word) wrote to Ms. K: “Why not take a portion of the millions of dollars you earned on your wedding and donate it to the Human Rights Campaign to help fight for marriage equality? It would speak very loudly.” (True.)
5. The previously undisclosed reason for their split is that Kris Humphries left Kim for me. (Sorry!)