1957 Porsche 356 A Speedster
COACHWORK BY REUTTER
CHASSIS NO. 82626
ENGINE NO. 63001
$180,000 – $220,000
Delivered New Through Max Hoffman of New York
Recent Mechanical Refurbishment
Ideal for Rallies and Tours
Documented by Certificate of Authenticity, Kardex and Receipts
1,582 CC Flat 4-Cylinder Engine
Dual Zenith Carburetors
60 BHP at 4,500 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Drum Brakes
Independent Front Suspension with Trailing Arms and Torsion Bars
Independent Swing-Axle Rear Suspension with Torsion Bars
With its sporty and lithe appearance, this classic 356 A Speedster is a true testament to the early open-top Porsche model that stole the hearts of countless sports car enthusiasts. According to its Certificate of Authenticity and factory build records, this car still features its original matching-numbers engine. The car completed assembly at Porsche’s Zuffenhausen plant on October 1, 1956, equipped with sealed- beam headlamps and finished in red paint with a black leatherette interior.
One of the many examples exported to the US, this 356 A Speedster was equipped with American-style bumpers and distributed through Max Hoffman’s legendary New York City-based import agency.
Although the early history of this 356 A 1600 Speedster remains unknown, the car is believed to have resided in Florida where it was owned by a Mr. Bradshaw in the late 1990s and by a Mr. Dunn from the mid-2000s.
In 2010, this Porsche Speedster was discovered by the consignor in Atlanta, Georgia, who embarked on a thorough refurbishment by Porsche specialists Klub Sport Racing in Riviera Beach, Florida.
Klub Sport undertook an engine refurbishment, including a freshening of the ancillary components, the brakes were rebuilt, the fuel and oil lines were replaced and the exhaust was powder-coated. Cosmetically, the car received a new interior and soft top, including new carpets, seat upholstery and a tonneau cover. Completed in November 2010, the work totaled almost $38,000. Since the restoration, this 356 A Speedster has been sparingly driven and dutifully maintained in climate- controlled storage. More recently, this 356 A has been freshened and detailed by the Kevin Westmoreland of Performance Restoration in Cleveland, Georgia.
Finished in a deep coat of red paint that faithfully duplicates its original livery, this agile Porsche Speedster bears testament to the purity of Reutter’s classic bathtub open-body design. This matching-numbers 1600 Speedster offers attractive cosmetics and refurbished mechanical systems that ably demonstrate Porsche’s legendary performance. This 356 A Speedster is perfect for spirited open-top motor- ing or exhibition at car shows and vintage Porsche events.
1965 Shelby GT350
CHASSIS NO. SFM5S430
$220,000 – $260,000
Cornerstone of the Shelby Legend
Drag Racing Provenance
Known Ownership History
A Wonderful Entrant for the Copperstate 1000 or Tour Auto
289 CID OHV High Performance V-8 Engine
Single Holley 4-Barrel Carburetor
306 BHP at 6,000 RPM
4-Speed Borg-Warner T-10 Manual Gearbox
Front-Wheel Disc Brakes, Rear Drums
Front Independent Suspension with Coil Springs
Rear Live Axles with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs
This sensational early GT350 is one of only 516 examples of the renowned 1965 Carroll Shelby Mustangs that were equipped as road cars. Delivered new to the Williams Ford dealership in West Hartford, Connecticut, this car was subsequently consigned to the famed Tasca Ford dealership of Rhode Island, where it was most likely used for weekend drag racing, as Tasca cars often were.
Later offered by Slaten Chevy of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, this Mustang was purchased on November 11, 1968, by Gordon Collins, an amateur racer who soon began campaigning the car on Florida’s drag strips. Mr. Collins refinished the Shelby in a unique racing livery with lettering on the door that read “Snakebite,” a look that was captured in photographs when the car placed second in the quarter-mile at the 1970 Gator Nationals. After retiring 5S430 from competition later that year, Mr. Collins sold the original motor to help finance an engagement ring for his fiancée.
In 1973, Kenneth Wesche of Lakeland, Florida, acquired 5S430. At the time of purchase, the car was still finished in the Snakebite livery but lacked its engine. In 1975, this Shelby was purchased by Ron Dickerson of Orlando, Florida, who, after a long period of ownership, sold the car in 1990 only to buy it back five years later. In 1999, dealership owner Jackie Jones of Florida acquired the car and conducted a high-level restoration that notably included repainting the car in its original color scheme of Wimbledon White. It is believed that, during the restoration, Mr. Jones sourced the current engine: a correct 289 engine that he rebuilt to as-new specifications.
Acquired by the consignor in 2001, this Shelby has since participated in local concours and vintage racing events in Florida. The car displays authentic Shelby Mustang details, such as a wood-rimmed steering wheel, Cobra- badged engine valve covers and Cragar wheels with CS center caps mounted with correct Goodyear High Performance Blue Dot tires. Enriching this car’s provenance, the glove box is signed by Carroll Shelby himself. Assured by the consignor to drive with a brute performance worthy of its sporting heritage, this highly collectable GT350 is a rare and authentic example of the Shelby Mustang legend.
1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
DESIGN BY PININFARINA, COACHWORK BY SCAGLIETTI
CHASSIS NO. 03496
$185,000 – $210,000
Beautiful Restoration by Marque Specialists
Stunning Color Combination
The Ultimate Evolution of the Classic Dino
Equipped with Power Windows and Daytona Seats
Exciting Drive for Rallies such as the Copperstate 1000
2,418 CC DOHC V-6 Engine
Triple Weber Carburetors
175 HP at 7,600 RPM
5-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
4-Wheel Independent Coil-Spring Suspension
Widely regarded as one of the best-handling cars of its era when it was first unveiled in 1968, the Ferrari Dino was a radical leap forward in road-car design. The Dino brand paid tribute to Enzo’s beloved son, establishing a more accessible Ferrari that utilized small-displacement six- and eight-cylinder engines. To this day, the various road-going Dinos are considered among the most sought-after and revered automobiles created by this legendary Italian manufacturer.
The Dino 246 GT offered here was delivered new to the US through Luigi Chinetti Motors. Built in 1972, this E-Series Dino was originally finished in white over a dark red interior and equipped with US equipment, power windows and Cromodora wheels. Although the first owner remains unknown, the Dino is recorded to have been owned in the mid- 1980s by Woodbury, Connecticut, resident Raymond Dobson.
In 2005, the Dino was purchased by the consignor, an enthusiast based in Connecticut. He immediately commissioned a restoration of the aging Dino, enlisting the best restoration shops – each with their particular specialties – to give the car the attention it truly deserved. ENI Motorsports in Brookfield, Connecticut, was entrusted with the engine work; the body and paintwork were entrusted to renowned Ferrari Restorer Wayne Obry’s Motion Products of Neenah, Wisconsin; and the interior was redone by Coachtrim in Danbury, Connecticut. Using the finest leather available, Coachtrim upholstered the seats in an inviting tobacco color with black inserts – a style used on some earlier Dino models as well as the Ferrari Daytona.
The Ferrari then went to Wayne Carini’s well-known restoration shop F40 Motorsports. Mr. Carini and his firm in Portland, Connecticut, are widely known for their program Chasing Classic Cars, in which Mr. Carini travels the classic car world to participate in events and shows in search of interesting vintage motorcars. In their care, the Dino’s suspension was overhauled, including powder coating all components and replacing bushings and joints; the shock absorbers were rebuilt; the steering rack was replaced; and the Dino received the proper final assembly and sorting.
With restoration receipts totaling over $100,000, this Dino has been very well prepared and would be a great contender at concours events across the country, or a pleasure to take on exhilarating rallies such as the Copperstate 1000.
1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing
CHASSIS NO. 198.040.6500044
ENGINE NO. 198.980.6500054
BODY NO. 198.040.6500040
$700,000 – $900,000
Factory-Delivered with Rudge Wheels
One Owner for the Past 43 Years
Complete with Belly Pans, Books and Tools
Verified by Mercedes-Benz Factory Build Sheets
A Well-Kept Example of the Classic Gullwing
2,996 CC SOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection
215 BHP at 6,500 RPM
4-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Drum Brakes
Independent Double-Wishbone Front Suspension
Independent Swing-Axle Rear Suspension
By 1951, Mercedes-Benz was ready to take back its place at the top of the market. After the humble four-cylinder 170 models stimulated a post-war market reentry for Mercedes-Benz, the grand six-cylinder 300 models were a return to the handcrafted luxury limousines and touring cars for which they were known. This was followed by a return to racing, where the company’s “Silver Arrows” had performed impressively before the war. They competed in an equally successful manner, both in the new Grand Prix Championship and in sports car racing where the 300 SL swept many of the most important races of the 1952 season.
Mercedes had no intention of producing their competition cars for the street, but visionary US distributor Max Hoffman had other ideas. He challenged the factory with the belief that he could sell a road-going version of the 300 SL to his wealthy American clientele and, in 1954, the 300 SL – nicknamed “Gullwing” for its upward- opening doors – made its world debut at the International Motor Sports Show in New York. When introduced to a wider audience, the Gullwing not only became a hit on the boulevards of America, but on its racetracks as well. Production ran from August 1954 until May 1957, by which time the 300 SL Roadster had been introduced as a replacement.
According to the Mercedes-Benz factory build sheets, the Gullwing presented here, 6500044, left the factory on February 29, 1956, destined for the Mercedes-Benz agency in Paris, France, and outfitted with desirable Rudge wheels, a rare performance-oriented factory option. It was finished in the popular color of Silver Gray Metallic over a black leather interior and gray carpets, noted on the build sheets as a special-option interior package. The new Gullwing was fitted with sealed-beam headlamps, a hazard flasher system and windshield-washer arrangement. It would have been a rare sight to see a Gullwing on the French autoroutes, as most of the 300 SLs were exported to the US when new.
In 1968, 6500044 was purchased by the consignor and became part of a pioneering collection in the New York area that focused on Mercedes-Benz and other German motorcars. It has remained in the same ownership ever since, carefully maintained in a heated and dry collection facility alongside other 300 SLs and several other fine German cars. When acquired in 1968, 6500044 was still in its original Silver Gray Metallic livery and retained its original interior. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the Gullwing was used sparingly for special events. In 1985, 6500044 was entrusted to Lordship Restorations in Stratford, Connecticut, for a thorough cosmetic and mechanical overhaul, and an exterior color change to the current red. Shortly after the restoration, the newly overhauled Gullwing traveled the Northeast show circuit, winning First Place at both the New Hope, Pennsylvania, and Bridgeport, Connecticut, car shows.
Today, 6500044 remains a well-cared-for example of the classic 300 SL Gullwing. The car shows an inviting patina inside and out, with good fit and finish. Inside, the correct VDO instruments, switches and trim pieces are present, as are the ivory steering wheel and gear knob. Thanks to limited ownership, good upkeep and careful preservation, 6500044 still retains its original matching-numbers engine and belly pans. Additionally, a tool kit, books and a copy of the factory build sheets accompany the car.
It is undeniable that the 300 SL Gullwing is a true “blue-chip” collectible. Their intelligent engineering and iconic design are recognized by sophisticated collectors the world over, and their eligibility in the top concours and driving events ensures ownership to be active and rewarding.
Offered here is a chance to buy a Gullwing that has had only one owner for the past 43 years and, with its factory-delivered Rudge wheels and matching-numbers engine still in place, 6500044 deserves serious consideration.
1965 Aston Martin DB 5
COACHWORK BY TOURING
CHASSIS NO. DB5/2055/L
ENGINE NO. 400/2083
$750,000 – $850,000
One of Only 886 DB5 Saloons
Factory Built with Left-Hand Drive and Air-Conditioning
Recent Photo-Documented Restoration
Beautiful Silver Birch Exterior Per Factory Build Sheet
Offered with Tool Roll and Owner’s Manual
3,995 CC DOHC Alloy Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Triple Sidedraft SU Carburetors
282 BHP at 5,500 RPM
5-Speed ZF Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Servo-Assisted Girling Disc Brakes
Independent Coil-Spring Front Suspension
Rear Live Axle with Trailing Links, Watts Linkage and Coil Springs
The most recognizable and revered classic Aston Martin is the DB5, a car that represented the culmination of nearly a decade of experience on road and track.
Introduced in 1963, the DB5 combined the great sporting qualities of the preceding DB-series cars in a contemporary and refined manner. Engine displacement was increased and triple SU carburetors were standardized, raising output to 282 bhp. Dual-servo brakes and the DB5’s famous covered headlights were retained from the final series DB4s, as were dual fuel fillers. The comfort and performance experienced behind the wheel was echoed in the beautiful aluminum coachwork, crafted in the old-world superleggera method by Touring of Milan. As a grand touring car of unapproachable style and ample performance, the latest Aston Martin drew universal praise from buyers, journalists and devoted motoring enthusiasts.
When Road & Track tested the DB5 in October 1964, they suggested that, “if one were planning a trip from Paris to Rome, a car such as the Aston would be hard to beat,” concluding that the Aston represented “the essence of GT driving.” This elegant, continental image has long been associated with the DB5.
While Aston Martin collected accolades from journalists and customers alike, it was the DB5’s appearance in the 007 film series, beginning withGoldfinger in 1964, that immortalized it as the stylish and sophisticated automobile of choice for the jet set. The immense fame of the James Bond character and his heroic exploits in his silver DB5 have raised the model to nearly mythic status among collectors, enthusiasts, and countless millions worldwide. Today, it stands as one of the most recognizable and stirring automotive designs of all time.
d for DB5/2055/L, its first owner W.H. Bradshaw of Forest Hills, New York, took delivery of his custom outfitted Aston on September 21, 1965. Originally finished in Silver Birch Metallic – the perfect hue for its truly iconic shape – Mr. Bradshaw’s car was to be outfitted with factory-installed air-conditioning, as well as chrome-plated wire wheels and auxiliary Fiamm horns. As a relatively late-build example, it also features the desirable ZF five-speed gearbox. Originally equipped with white-striped Avon Turbospeed tires, Mr. Bradshaw’s bespoke DB5 was certainly at the height of automotive fashion.
After a number of years with its original owner, the DB5 reportedly found its next home in North Carolina. Having been enjoyed extensively by its owner, eventually the Aston required repairs and was taken out of service. The car was subsequently placed in storage where it sat undisturbed for the next 31 years. Some years later, the Aston was purchased by another resident of North Carolina who commissioned a full restoration.
Over the course of the restoration, several specialists were retained to complete the many tasks. Currently the interior presents particularly well, with a grey broadcloth headliner and Wilton wool carpets lined in leather. Replacing the original blue leather, Coachtrim of Danbury, Connecticut, reupholstered the interior in black leather. Numerous photos that document the restoration process accompany the car. In 2005, following the restoration, a final sorting of the DB5 was performed by Sports Leicht Restorations of West End, North Carolina, a firm known for their Pebble Beach-quality restoration work. In 2010, Sports Leicht installed a “Steel Wings” coil-over-shock absorber front- suspension kit. Showing just over 66,000 miles on its odometer, this Silver Birch Saloon presents as one of the finest of its kind.
Ordered in the most desirable configuration and boasting a lovely restoration, presented here is a DB5 that is an exceptionally rare automobile and one that would serve as a cornerstone for any collection of Aston Martins.
Whether this DB5’s next owner is a DB- series devotee or an enthusiast in search of a high-quality grand-touring car, this outstanding Aston Martin is certainly a top-level candidate. As a bonus, with its US specifications and known history, it should also serve as a rewarding long-term investment.
1960 Chevrolet Corvette “Race Rat”
CHASSIS NO. 00867S104420
ENGINE NO. 104420
$450,000 – $550,000
First in Class at the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring
2009 NCRS Heritage Award Recipient
Unquestioned History and Provenance
Eligible for Leading Historic Events,
Tours and Corvette Gatherings
Faithfully Restored by Corvette Specialists
Rare RPO 687, 276, and 1625 Optioned
Big-Tank Version As-Delivered
One of Only 10 1960 Big-Tank Production Corvettes
Offered with Impressive File of Documentation
283 CID OHV V-8 Engine
Rochester Mechanical Fuel Injection
397 BHP at 6,000 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Heavy-Duty Drum Brakes
Independent Front Suspension
Solid Rear Axle with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs
George Reed of Illinois was a gentleman racer in the traditional sense of the term – wealthy, commanding and fiercely competitive. By the late 1950s, he had already made a name for himself as a driver with strong finishes at Sebring, Nassau, Cumberland, Road America, Watkins Glen and Wilmot Hills. Reed also owned some of most sensational cars of the era, from a Ferrari 250 TR to a 375 MM. As the years passed, Reed became increasingly successful on track and, in 1958, won the C-Production National Championship behind the wheel of a 250 GT Tour de France.
In addition to his racing exploits, Reed was the owner of RRR Motors in Homewood, Illinois. RRR was not only a distributor for Ferraris, Alfa Romeos and Goodyear racing tires, it was the name of a racing club that George started in the 1950s. The acronym stood for “Reed’s Race Rats” and an artist was commissioned to create a shield that was featured on the members’ cars depicting a rat in full race regalia, angrily pointing at a pit board.
By the late 1950s, RRR Motors was competing in the premier American road racing events. Although George was typically behind the wheel of a Ferrari, he yearned for success in other categories. In 1960, he found a perfect contender in the Chevrolet Corvette.
A few years earlier, the AMA ban had put a stop to factory-sponsored racing and, as of June 1957, there was no longer a factory-backed Corvette. Cleverly, Chevrolet had the famous RPO option, which allowed anyone with the money, connections and insight to purchase a car from the factory that was, for all intents and purposes, race ready. Because of this option package, Corvettes remained popular on the track and did well in the hands of enthusiastic dealers and wealthy privateers.
Around that time, Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago – a famous dealership known for their high-performance supercars – was taking a break from racing. George Reed contacted Nickey and ordered this RPO race-optioned Corvette specifically for the upcoming 12 Hours of Sebring. The car arrived in the first week of March, shortly before the race. Nickey’s legendary engine builder Ronnie Kaplan was put to the task of creating a rock-solid engine that could withstand the rigors of the punishing 12-hour race.
The car had made its way down to Florida, where Reed enlisted renowned engineer Zora Arkus Duntov, who was there merely as a spectator, to help with final race preparation. With his guidance, the suspension tuning was completed the very morning of the race. As Reed was driving his own Ferrari California Spider, Chuck Hall and Bill Fritts were contracted to drive the RRR Motors entry. Apparently Chuck Hall, a very young man at the time, had to beseech his finance professors to allow him to skip class so that he could drive at Sebring.
Their flawless driving saw the purposeful “Race Rat” finish First in Class (GT-14) and an admirable 16th overall. The car finished the grueling race in 12 hours, 2 minutes and 30 seconds at an average speed of over 72 mph – extremely impressive numbers for what was a heavily modified production sports car. Of the six Corvettes entered, this was the only one to finish in the top 25. It was a tremendous boon for Reed, who happened to finish the race 5th overall.
After the race, this very special Corvette passed through the hands of two owners before it settled with John Jurecic in the Fall of 1962. He gave the car a more discreet appearance so that it could be used on the street and he enjoyed it for a number of years before selling it to his good friend Randall Krystosek in 1965.
Although his father technically owned the car until he turned 21, Mr. Krystosek used the class-winning Corvette as a daily driver throughout college and medical school. After being stored for a six-year period while he was going through his surgical training and a stint in the army, the car re-emerged to serve as weekend amusement. In a letter, he fondly recalls the rare racing components that were included on the car: heavy-duty suspension, a quick steering adaptor, huge finned brakes with metallic linings and a large gas tank. Not surprisingly, the car earned a fearsome reputation as it easily defeated the newer Corvettes in the occasional stoplight competition.
Eventually Mr. Krystosek could no longer contain his curiosity about his car’s early racing history and contacted Corvette authority Nolan Adams. After a thorough inspection, Adams found a number of unique features that distinguished the car from an ordinary street Corvette. The car was found to have an unusual high-performance generator, special fuel- injection, the rare 5 1/2″ wheels and the “A” designation on the build number indicating an LPO (Limited Production Option) 24-gallon fuel tank.
Mr. Krystosek retained the car until 2004, when a noted California collector acquired it. Over the next few years, the Corvette was carefully researched and restored to its original racing livery. After it had been disassembled and the paint stripped for restoration, it was discovered that all the original factory and RRR Motors markings were still intact, and certain areas where racing parts had been installed were clearly visible. Chip Werstein, together with Doug Prince, was charged with the task of project management, assembly and final detailing. Euro Body provided the bodywork and paint, and QMP Racing and J&D Corvette made sure that the mechanicals were overhauled and historically accurate.
Presented here is a most exciting and fascinating piece of American racing history and one of the most important solid-axle Corvette race cars in existence. This car was prepared by a leader in high-performance Chevrolets, was a winner at the most important American endurance race and bears significant associations with many of the influential names in American road racing. Furthermore, presented in its gleaming all-white livery, it is certainly one of the most attractive Corvette race cars to be found. The 1960 Sebring Race was conducted as an FIA World Championship event and the car is therefore currently eligible for a wide variety of historic events and would also be eligible for FIA Historic races once FIA papers are applied for and issued.
While George Reed’s “Race Rats” are no more, his class-winning Corvette is still around and looks just like it did when it roared across the finish line at Sebring 49 years ago.