1. If you’re in San Francisco and looking for something becoming and bespoke, I’d suggest the coolest haberdashery in North Beach, Al’s Attire at 1300 Grant Avenue. “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence,” said Sir Hardy Aimes. “Put them on with care. And then forgotten all about them.” That has become the motto of Al Ribaya who has been clothing the most stylish San Franciscans for over three decades.
2. A few doors down from Al’s is my favorite vintage clothing outpost, Old Vogue, at 1412 Grant Avenue. Two floors of great finds. And they’ve just started adding furniture to the mix.
3. The jack-of-all-trades Jack Spade Tech Oxford Wing Duffle. Utilitarian and chic all at the same time.
4. My new favorite light meal can be found at the Laurel Court Lounge at the Fairmont Hotel at the top of Nob Hill here in San Francisco. It is its house prosciutto atop Sonoma mushroom flatbread which is then drizzled with white truffle oil and sprinkled with goat cheese. As good as any pizza down the hill in North Beach.
5. I’ve been transcribing my interview with FourTwoNine magazine’s next cover guys Jared Leto and his brother Shannon from their band Thirty Seconds to Mars. But I did take a break to watch their great video for their song “Up in the Air” which was directed by Jared under his Dr. Seuss pseudonym Bartholomew Cubbins.
You can find Kevin’s “Picks of the Week” in the 429Newsletter every Wednesday. Subscribe here.