1. At the top of my list of books to read this summer is Michael Cunningham’s new novel “The Snow Queen.”
2. The Stephen Burrows exhibition at the SCAD Museum of Art in Savannah, Georgia, curated by Andre Leon Talley. “An American Master of Inventive Design” runs through September 15.
3. The photographer John Deakin (1912 – 1972) is in the cultural air these days. Sarah Burton said she was inspired by his work photographing the art scene in London’s Soho neighborhood in the 1950s for her fall 2014 menswear collection at Alexander McQueen. She even silkscreened his image of Lucian Freud on a trench coat.
4. Photography historian John Muir has curated a John Deakin retrospective at London’s The Photographers’ Gallery. “Under the Influence: John Deakin and the Lure of Soho” is on view until July 13th.
5. Jasper Johns has used a John Deakin photo of Lucian Freud for the inspiration for his new show, “Jasper Johns: Regrets” at the Museum of Modern Art. The exhibit is up until September 1.
You can find Kevin’s “Picks of the Week” in the 429Newsletter every Wednesday. Subscribe here.