1. The film Violette about French writer Violette Leduc and her obsession with Simone de Beauvoir who championed her work. Emmanuelle Devos as Leduc and Sandrine Kiberlain as de Beauvoir are giving remarkable performances in counterpoint to each other. It is acting performed as a pas de deux; they each make their own individual choices in their performances but each choice is based on the others so that there is still a kind of third choice being made: the shared one. It is lovely to behold.
2. The San Francisco Playhouse’s production of Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods just opened and runs all summer until September 6th.
3. Pre-order your copies of Burning Man: Art on Fire, an authorized anthology of images of some of the gathering’s most stunning works of art. The official publication date is August 1.
4. A cashmere V-neck cardigan from Ralph Lauren Black Label.
5. Joan Mitchell: Trees at the Cheim & Read Gallery in New York. The exhibit runs until August 29th.