1. Actor Eddie Redmayne will play Lili Elbe, a transgender woman and the lead character in the film adaptation of David Ebershoff’s novel The Danish Girl. The novel is a semi-fictionalized account of Elbe’s life; she is the first recorded transgender woman to have had sex reassignment surgery. Redmayne, a cisgender man, made comments about the role that have rubbed some in the LGBT community the wrong way. [Read more here].
2. The Advocate has compiled a list of this year’s best transgender non-fiction books. [Read more here].
3. Actress Rose McGowan has some choice words for gay men. During a recent appearance on Bret Easton Ellis’s podcast, she said that gay men are more misogynistic than their straight counterparts. [Read more here].
4. An Irish bakery has been ordered to recant its not-so-sweet opposition to gay marriage. The bakery, which is Christian-owned, refused to bake a cake featuring Bert and Ernie in support of gay marriage. [Read more here]
5. You probably want a distraction from midterms coverage, but we couldn’t help ourselves. Here’s an interesting survey from NBC News dissecting voter age and speculating about why only 12 percent (down from 19 percent in 2012) of voters are under 30. [Read more here].