Protecting your lips from sun damage is just as important as protecting your skin. Prolonged exposure to the sun can dry and darken your lips and make them lose their plumpness. That is why you need to start shopping for quality sunscreen that will give you and baby the ultimate protection from the sun and pollutants in the air.
Most women think that protecting your lips is only something that you do in the summers. But according to experts and dermatologists, your lips are in dire need of sunscreen during the winters as well. As for baby lips, sunscreen is especially important as newborns are more sensitive to the sun.
The lips are more prone to getting sunburnt, and patchy and scaly in the dry and chilly weather of the winter. The upper layer of the lips can get flaky and itchy, which can make you want to peel it off with your nails, and that makes it more harmful and comfortable for the bacteria to settle on your lips. This is especially important because you can’t necessarily put a bandaid over the lips to help protect the skin.
So the bottom line is this: don’t leave your lips untreated any time of the year, use a good and beneficial sunscreen all year long and keep those lips looking pretty.
We’ve got some of the best sunscreens you can give to your beautiful lips to keep them soft and smooth all the time.
When choosing the perfect lip protection, keep in mind several things.
- Avoid dry ingredients like menthol, camphor, and phenol. Excessive use of salicylic acid can also irritate and make your lips more dry and flaky.
- If you have sensitive skin and lips, you might want to avoid lip balms with beeswax. These contain propolis, a type of glue made by honeybees, which is also a cause of allergic reactions, in some cases.
- The lip sunscreen you buy should have an excellent moisturizing ingredient in it, such as honey, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, shea butter, petroleum, or coconut oil.
What products might you consider trying? Here is a shortlist you may want to consider:
- Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 25
- Vanicream Lip Protectant/Sunscreen SPF 30
- Blistex Five Star Lip Protection SPF 30
- Coola Suncare Liplux Sport Lip Treatment SPF 30
- EltaMD UV Lip Balm SPF 31
- Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm SPF 20
- ChapStick Skin Protectant Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 15
- Aquaphor Lip Protectant Plus Sunscreen SPF 30
- Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15
- Banana Boat Sport Performance Lip Balm SPF 50
- Colorescience Sunforgettable Lip Shine SPF 35
- Baby Lips by Maybelline
When looking to protect baby lips, sunscreen is vital to helping to maintain the look and feel of the skin. The lips especially, which are prone to cracking and other sun-related damage, will thank you!